Saturday, September 12, 2009

Comparison of classmates internet habits

After looking over my classmates’ internet notes, I noticed a few interesting details. The majority of the sites they visited are either sites I visit frequently or sites I am nonetheless familiar with. Among some the guys, I often saw “ESPN” sprinkled in between Facebook and e-mail. Others, visited news sites, which at first surprised me, and then I remembered I am in an honors class, and not everyone in the world is as unsuccessful at keeping up to date with current events as I am. Many of my classmates listen to Pandora. At first, when I looked through the blogs everything seemed very repetitive. The majority of us visit similar, if not the same, sites. I started to reflect on the diversity of our class. All of us are honors students, but beyond that we are very different. We have different views and hobbies. Many of us live on campus, while others (like me) commute half an hour or more. If we all come from such diverse backgrounds, why are our internet logs so similar?? It reminded me of a comment one of my classmates made. (Turning this assignment in late, gave me the benefit of hearing others opinions first.) He wrote, “Saying what one does on the internet doesn’t really define one’s personality. Saying where one does it however speaks volumes about their personality.” This quote is a little bit misleading, but I think I know what he means. You can see a lot about our personalities by what sites we visit. One could safely say that the majority of my peers have an interest in social networking (Facebook and email), music (Pandora and YouTube), and schoolwork (Louisville.edu). The extra sites one visits, or what one does within those sites can give a lot of insight into their personality. For example, because I visit MapQuest, one could infer I like to travel or was traveling last weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment