Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Melting Pot of Snippets

Even though I like to keep up to date with current events, I rarely have time to watch the news. When the news is on in a restaurant or doctor’s office, I am one of those annoying people who reposition their chair and get completely sucked into the report. However, when I have the time to watch TV at home, I am usually so worn out that I end up watching something that will not require too much thought on my part. I do listen to the radio a lot. I live about thirty minutes from campus, so my commute ends up being over an hour both ways. My truck, as much as I love it, is technologically unequipped. I do not have a CD player, and the tape player is broken; so I have plenty of time to listen to the radio during my drive. My mom sends me links to news videos that she thinks are interesting once every few days. Almost every time I get on Yahoo!, I see an article that seems interesting and I spend a few minutes reading over it. When the homework I am working on does not require too much concentration, I like to turn on the CNN video clips, and listen to them while I do my homework. Every once in a while, I will hear a story that interests me, so I will look it up online when I get home. For example, today I was spending time with my best friend and her family. Her mom was telling us about a baby whose stroller fell in front of a subway and survived. As soon as I got back to my friend’s dorm, we found the story online. I am ashamed to say that I don’t follow the news the way I should. My limited few of current events is a melting pot of snippets I here during my busy day.

3 comments:

  1. I, too, am a Yahoo! fiend. Every single time I log on, I pour over the snippets of the day. That, and word-of-mouth, is about the extent of my knowledge. I'm not exactly the most up-to-date of people, either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you Nicole. When I see a semi-interesting news story on when I'm out at a restaurant I will become completely entranced and have to be brought back to the conversation by an annoyed friend or family member. But, when I am at home the last thing I want to watch is the news and will go to a different room of the house or find something else to do to avoid watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that when I'm home I just have no energy or motivation to watch the news but out in public if there is an interesting news story on I will immediately be distracted.

    ReplyDelete