Saturday, October 24, 2009
The New York Times
I have really enjoyed reading the New York Times. Now that I have begun reading it, I wish I had started reading it sooner. Whenever I get on, I glance at the headlines, but I go almost straight to the world section. The article that has drawn my attention the most was “7 Months, 10 Days in Captivity”. Every time I have gotten online I immediately begin looking for the latest section. I have been really sick the last few days, and I do not have internet at home, so I have not been able to read the latest sections. The story is the first hand account of David Rohde. He was in Pakistan researching the Taliban for a book he was writing. He had done multiple projects in the Middle East and was familiar with the customs of the people. Rohde arranged a meeting with one of the fraction leaders, but on his way there he and two of his associates were kidnapped. His account relates his experiences during the 7 and a half months of his captivity. I have had little time to read the New York Times, so reading this article has been like watching a fantastic movie that I have to stop and start repeatedly. I have been so drawn to this story, the other headlines only receive a passing glance on the b-line to the latest part. I have noticed that my interest in foreign affairs has changed. When I hear about the Middle East or Taliban on the new, I pay more attention than I have before. It has also peaked my interest in what I can do to help. It has made me ask myself how I can gain a better understanding of the Taliban; their motivations and goals. And, more importantly, what can I do to help protect people from this type of cruelty.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

One of my friends was saying that the news just isn't interesting anymore. I mentioned the Rohde series as a specific example of interesting writing. I'm glad you found it to be so, too.
ReplyDelete